Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nice try, thyroid cancer

I know it's been almost eight weeks since I last posted anything, but I finally have something good to report. Thyroid cancer can now be added to the casualty list next to Hodgkin's lymphoma. I'm 2-0, baby!

I started taking thyroid replacement hormone after my second surgery in September, and just last week I had a thyroid scan using a small amount of radioactive iodine as a tracer. The scan results, along with my blood labs, show no sign of thyroid cancer activity. Besides being big news on its own, this also means I escape having to take radioactive iodine treatments. Just like the Hodgkin's, however, the presence of thyroid cancer will be something I'll have to monitor with labs and scans as time goes on.

Speaking of Hodgkin's, my next PET-CT scan is just two weeks away. It's been about five months since my last one, and I'm eager to get confirmation that all that chemotherapy really did its job. I'll definitely keep you posted.

In the mean time, life has been pretty good. With all the chemo drugs out of my system, I appreciate being able to have my mind, body, and eyebrows at full power again. Work is much more rewarding now, and I'm going back to school in January to begin my MBA at the University of Arizona. It's not "all work and no play" though. This past year I've gotten quite a taste of what it's like to feel old; I'm going to enjoy feeling young for as long as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    Nice Article has been shared here. i did get lots of good points from here. thanks for sharing such article here. it would be nice if you can share some information related to Dental Implants Malaysia here in this article....keep Posting....

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete